ATED valuations

If your company owns or partly owns a UK residential property valued at more than £500,000 you need to submit an annual tax return for enveloped dwellings (ATED) on or after 1st April in any tax year. Our surveyors provide valuations for this purpose.

The expert knowledge you need with the personal service you expect.

ATED valuations


What do we do? 

ATED is an annual tax payable by companies that own or part own UK residential property valued at more than £500,000. Acting for businesses in this situation, our Chartered surveyors determine the value of the building(s) to enable you to submit an annual tax return for enveloped dwellings (ATED) on or after the 1st April each tax year.

We will provide a detailed, evidence based report, based on the statutory definition of market value that provides our opinion of the value for the property in question. Valuations for tax purposes often need to be reported for a specific, often historical date and our team is able to meet this need along with revaluation figures for ATED returns.

We assess all kinds of residential property including houses, bungalows, flats and mixed use developments including those of non-standard construction to provide our considered opinion of its value. 

Our aim is to help you make sound financial decisions relating to property. A valuation conducted by a RICS registered valuer will enable you to find out if the value of your property falls within the scope of ATED and will meet HMRC’s ATED valuation requirements, reducing the likelihood of miscalculation of tax and resulting fines.



We aim to turn reports around within five to seven days of inspection and you will be able to talk directly to the surveyor working on your behalf should you have any questions when you receive your report.

To get a quote or discuss your ATED valuation needs


Frequently asked questions about ATED valuations

  • How much does an ATED valuation cost?

    We cannot give you an exact quote without speaking to you as every property and taxation requirement is different but the professional fees payable will always reflect the particular requirements of your property and the time which it is anticipated will be devoted to the matter.

    Get a quote 

  • What is an ATED valuation?

    ATED is an annual tax payable by companies that own or part own UK residential property valued at more than £500,000.

    You need to complete an ATED tax return if your property is:

    • owned or partly owned by a company, partnership or collective investment scheme.
    • a dwelling (when all or part of the property is used, or could be used as a residence, for example a house or flat and includes any gardens, grounds and buildings within the property) in the UK
    • is valued at more than £500,000 on the 1st April 2017 (or at a later purchase date)
  • Do I need an ATED valuation?

    If your company owns or partly owns a UK residential property valued at more than £500,000 you need to submit an annual tax return for enveloped dwellings (ATED) on or after 1st April in each tax year. 

    If you are unsure wether you fall into ATED brackets, please contact our general practice team for advice. 

  • What is the current valuation date for ATED purposes?

    The current valuation date for ATED purposes is 1st April 2017. 

    We therefore value properties at this date if owned on or before that date.

    • For properties owned on or before 1st April 2017, the valuation date is 1st April 2017.
    • For properties owned AFTER 1st April 2017, the valuation date is the date that you acquired the property


  • How do I know what charging bracket my property falls into?

    Once you have your ATED valuation from a Surveyor, use this guide or contact HMRC to confirm what charging band your property falls into and see how much you need to pay:

  • Can you conduct a desktop valuation?

    Desktop valuations, where an opinion of value is reached without an inspection of the property, are not RICS Red Book compliant and as such we don’t conduct them.

    We do however conduct desktop valuation updates. These desktop valuation updates are only suitable if we have visited the property on your behalf before, no significant alterations have been made, or the time elapsed since the inspection was conducted isn’t too great.

    Desktop valuation updates are commonly used when the validity of the original valuation has expired (usually after three months of valuation date) and a retype is requested to state that the original value is still correct and the market has not significantly changed.

  • Will the valuation be accurate?

    It’s important to secure accurate property valuations for ATED. Underestimate the value and you risk having to pay out more Tax than you expected, but if you overestimate, and you may have to spend significant time trying to reclaim your Tax over payment.

    HMRC has the right to challenge and investigate a valuation through its District Valuer Service (DVS). If a valuation is challenged, particularly one not supported by a professional surveyor, you could face hefty fines for having been ‘negligent’ in how you obtained the valuation.

    By instructing a RICS registered Chartered Surveyor to provide an ATED valuation, you can be confident that will get an accurate valuation figure that will be accepted by HMRC when submitting your tax return.

    RICS registered valuers follow industry best practice guidelines on how to reach valuation figures and are bound by the codes of conduct of their professional body.

    Kempton Carr Croft is a RICS regulated firm, has PII insurance cover and all valuations are conducted by qualified RICS registered valuers.

  • What is covered in an ATED valuation?

    • Initial advice in respect of ATED valuations
    • Inspection of the property
    • Reporting the Market Value at the applicable valuation date
    • Liaising with your accountant
    • Negotiating with HMRC should they raise any queries regarding the value provided (Please note that this element could incur additional costs depending on the level of work required. For example meeting with the District Valuer and making formal representation.)
    • Revaluation figures for ATED returns
    • Valuation figures for ATED returns
    • Consultation prior to the valuation to ensure any specific concerns you have are considered in the inspection
  • Do you conduct ATED valuations in my area?

    Kempton Carr Croft’s Surveyors regularly provide valuations for properties throughout London and the whole of the South East of England. The team works from offices in Basingstoke, Camberley, Gerrards Cross, Maidenhead, London, Reading, Staines and Windsor.