Party Wall Surveyors

We act on behalf of Building Owners and Adjoining Owners when the Party Wall Act is likely to be triggered in connection with building work near neighbouring buildings.

The expert knowledge you need with the personal service you expect.

Party Wall Surveyors


What do we do?

We act on behalf of Building Owners and Adjoining Owners when the Party Wall Act is likely to be triggered in relation to building work to Party Walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

Our Party Wall Surveyors provide advice on all types of residential and commercial property in relation to Party Wall matters including flats, shopping centres and properties of non-standard construction. 

All procedures relating to Party Walls are dealt with by a trained Party Wall Surveyor who will adhere to the strict guidelines established by the Party Wall Act 1996.



We will ensure that all procedures such as serving notices and counter notices are delivered correctly within the time-frames specified in the Act. You will be able to talk directly to the surveyor working on your behalf should you have any questions at any point in proceedings.  

To get a quote or discuss your Party Wall needs,


Frequently asked questions about the Party Wall Act and disputes process


Who pays for the Surveyors Party Wall Services?

Under the Act, the ‘Building Owner’ (owner of the property undertaking works) will usually pay all costs associated in drawing up the Party Wall awards. This includes the ‘Adjoining owner’s’ surveyor fees, as long as the works are solely for the benefit of the Building Owner.

If you are the Building Owner you can expect to cover the following costs in line with the Act:

  • The appointment of your surveyor
  • If your neighbour(s) appoint(s) a surveyor you will pay for their costs too
  • Allow for the cost of any damage caused to the neighbouring property as a result of your building works (The likelihood of this arising is minimised with thorough planning & professional contracts.)
  • The use of structures to build up to


We cannot give you an exact figure on the specific costs of the above until you have confirmed the property address and works involved, as every property, and number of neighbouring properties is different.

The professional fees payable will always reflect the particular requirements of your property and the time which it is anticipated will be devoted to the matter.

View our 18 questions you may be asking about Party Walls guide for everything you need to know before instructing a Party Wall Surveyor.


What do our Party Wall Surveyors do?

  • Inspection of property before and after agreed works
  • Issuing notice of works on behalf of Building Owners
  • Issuing counter notices on behalf of Adjoining Owners
  • Preparing a schedule of condition for neighbouring property
  • Negotiation and preparation of Party Wall Awards
  • Advice to adjoining owners regarding neighbouring works
  • Dispute resolution
  • Monitoring of building work
  • Consultancy services in relation to the Party Wall Act 1996 and related issues


What is a Party Wall?

A ‘Party Wall’ stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners. It could be a wall that is part of one building, separates two or more buildings or consists of a ‘Party fence wall’.

A ‘Party fence wall’ is not part of the building but stands astride the boundary line between different owners and is used to separate those lands – for example, a garden fence.

A Party Wall can stand wholly on one owners land but be used by two (or more) owners to separate their buildings. An example of this would be when one owner has built the wall in the first place and another has built their building up against it without constructing their own wall.

Party Structures is a wider term that covers walls, floors or other partitions separating buildings or parts of buildings approached by separate staircases or entrances – flats for example.

Source: communities and local government the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 explanatory booklet.


What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to Party Walls, Boundary Walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. 

Anyone intending to carry out building work (anywhere in England and Wales) of the kinds described by the act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions. A notice of works enables all parties to agree to the proposals or agree changes to the proposals to the way the work will be carried out.

View our 18 questions you may be asking about Party Walls guide for everything you need to know before instructing a Party Wall Surveyor.


Should I consult my solicitor?

No. All the procedures are dealt with by a qualified Party Wall Surveyor. The Act is designed to prevent neighbours having disputes, going to court and is fully actionable by party wall surveyors.

It is important to get advice on proposed building works right at the start of planning so the procedures of the Act are dealt with and enforced correctly from the offset.


When do I need to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor?

At least 3 months before the proposed building work start date.

Correct administration of the Party Wall Act will likely take less time but this ensures plenty of time is allowed so you can be confident all statutory Party Wall procedures are completed before work begins.

The worst-case scenario is that you start work before the correct notices have been issued and your neighbours object to this and take you to court to get an injunction to stop building. This can be hugely expensive and time consuming to resolve if you’ve already contracted a builder.


Do you provide Party Wall services in London?

Kempton Carr Croft’s Surveyors regularly work with clients to provide Party Wall services throughout London and the South East of England. Our London practice is located in Mayfair and we have a further seven offices to the West and South West of London.


Do you prepare Party Wall Surveys in my area?

Kempton Carr Croft’s Chartered Surveyors regularly provide party wall surveys throughout London and the whole of the South East of England. The team works from offices in Basingstoke, Camberley, Gerrards Cross, Maidenhead, London, Reading, Staines and Windsor.

Very polite & professional

Malcom Kempton represented our family against a cross rail encroachment dispute, a very difficult & complicated issue. It took time but he laboured on and we finally we had a successful result. He was very polite & professional at all times, as were the other staff we dealt with. I would not hesitate in recommending Kempton Carr Croft to friends & family. I now face a different surveying issue and I didn’t think twice about who to call, this is now on going and I am still impressed with the service being given. I rate them 5 big stars!