Sourcing a new workspace is an important and strategic business decision that can be both time and cost consuming. Working with an experienced commercial property acquisition professional or team can give you the best chance of meeting your current and future business needs by helping to source the right commercial premises that will meet your brief and budget within the time frame required.
Set your requirements
The first stage in the commercial property acquisitions process is to develop an in-depth understanding of your business, where you want to be, space requirements and budget limitations.
Think about the following points:
- What is your business?
- How do you want to develop your business over the next 12 months, five years and beyond?
- What size property do you need?
- What rooms and spaces do you need for machinery, retail space, offices, etc.?
- Will you need scope to expand?
- What location would be ideal?
- Are there any businesses that would complement yours if they were your neighbours, i.e. who might attract a similar customer base without being direct competitors?
- What can you afford to pay? Does this realistically reflect the market value?
- Are you looking to buy or to rent?
- What terms would your lease ideally include?
The answers to these questions will go a long way towards defining the criteria for your property search. It is worth establishing from the outset which features of the commercial property are desirable and which are non-negotiable. This will help streamline the short listing process for both you and your surveyor.
Go it alone or work with an agency?
Depending on where you are moving from and to, your budget and the time frame of your move, it can often be more economical to instruct a commercial agent to act on your behalf during the acquisitions process. A good agent will have their finger on the pulse of the local, regional and national commercial market and will be best placed to secure favourable terms on your behalf for either the purchase price or rental and lease terms.
When choosing a commercial agent to act on your behalf be sure to do your research to ensure that they are active and experienced in commercial property acquisitions and disposals in your desired location.
Need advice or services?
Our agency team has an excellent record of securing new business premises for our clients within the Thames Valley. Use our contact form to get in touch.
Want to hear more?
If you found this article helpful and would like to receive more posts like this directly to your inbox, subscribe to receive our quarterly newsletter or follow us on twitter @KemptonCarr and like us on facebook to see them first.